Simple care for long life
It's simple to protect the natural beauty and outstanding durability of Western Red Cedar. These are our top tips for product care so that you can enjoy the outstanding natural properties of Western Red Cedar for many years to come.
- Store Western Red Cedar in a clean, dry and cool place before installation.
- Cover boards completely with a plastic sheet or cloth to prevent fading, weather damage or uneven discolouration.
- Leave a space between stacks of boards and always move them with care.
- Always stack Cedar products off the ground on gluts or similar
- Use breathable building paper behind external boards (to prevent sweating that causes mould).
- Seal the backs and ends of all boards to reduce contraction or movement from humidity or temperature changes. For external timbers, a coat of Cutek oil is best. All faces of Cedar product need to be sealed at time of installation.
For external applications, we recommend:
- silicone bronze nails (to blend in with the natural colour of the Cedar)
- hot dipped galvanised nails
- stainless steel nails
Tongue and groove profiles can be secret nailed (so nails are concealed by the next board), however external timbers must be face nailed to meet building recommendations. For weatherboards, chamfer boards and siding, keep nails away from the top edge of the previous board to prevent splitting.
- When applying timber to internal walls and ceilings, use an adhesive as well as standard fixings to help minimise movement.
- Use stainless steel or galvanised nails for any fixing, including alfresco, portico and verandah ceilings.
- For our internal panelling with tongue and groove profiles, use secret nailing to achieve a seamless finish.
- Oil and water-based coatings help protect your timber from the elements. For more, see our Coatings page.
- Use a soft, damp cloth for internal surfaces.
- Use a light pressure hose, standard broom or brush for external surfaces.